WE LOVE GRAND OPENINGS!
Your Business Downtown – Start with Oxford Mainstreet Inc.
Have a dream of running
your own business? Be your own boss? Are you thinking seriously about
entrepreneurship, but do not have the first notion of how and where
to begin? There are some very helpful resources at your fingertips
and if you are considering Oxford’s downtown for your business let Oxford
Mainstreet Inc be the first to encourage and welcome you with some essential
As in any endeavor,
there is no true way of knowing all the risks involved with starting
a small business. However, you can improve greatly your chances
of success with good planning and preparation. A good place to start
is to seriously evaluate your strengths and weaknesses as the owner
of a small business and consider each carefully.
There are a host of
online resources available for this task, for example, one
highly recommended website is sponsored by the State of Pennsylvania’s
Department of Community and Economic Development which can be found
at www.inventpa.com, click on the Center for Entrepreneurial Assistance.
The Small Business Association is also another excellent resource and
can be found online at www.sba.gov.
To increase your chance
for success, take the time from the very beginning to evaluate your
business, understand your needs, your market and your goals.
Use this information to draft a business plan; your business plan will
become a comprehensive tool to driving your business to success. The
process you will go through to prepare your plan will force you to understand
your ideas and whether they will work in the realty of opening and remaining
a thriving enterprise. Your business plan will also become a valuable
tool as you begin to raise money for your business, furthermore, your
business plan will help you track your success from opening day.
OMI recommends taking
advantage of the many workshops and seminars offered by respectable
institutions including: Kutztown University and their Small
Business Development Center, located in Exton. Kutztown’s SBDC has an
extensive calendar of free workshops and consultation available. Call
Mr. Bud Batcher for information at 610-458-5700 or online at: www.kutztownsbdc.org.
OMI has also partnered with Lincoln University’s Program Development
Team, offering a wide range of courses in small business development,
find out more at www.lincoln.edu.
The County’s SCORE
Office can also provide one-on-one assistance; their office
is located in the Government Services Building in West Chester and can
be reached at 610-344-6910. Remember when you prepare for your venture,
a unique approach and consistent image are also essential.
Now the “pitch” from
Oxford Mainstreet, Inc. is that we love to see businesses start and
grow in Oxford’s downtown. Many fine established businesses
have enjoyed a thriving existence for years. There are some exciting
storefronts and commercial properties available in the downtown (see
Available Properties page) and we would be obliged to make recommendations
as to which would make the best home for your business. Please contact
the Office of Oxford Mainstreet, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org
with any questions you may have, we also have a host of current demographic
and market data to use in your business plan. The OMI office can also
assist with downtown requirements and contact information to insure
Have PowerPoint installed
on your computer? Then download this Business
Start-Up Matrix for assistance in starting your business.
A Note About Oxford's Sewer & H20
If you have a commercial
storefront with leasing opportunities you should pay particular attention
to the Borough's current water/sewer requirements. There are
a series of steps to follow in order to ensure an efficient start-up.
Before you purchase property or sign a rental agreement for your business:
- Call the OMI Office if the property is located in the Borough's Commercial Business District.
- Call Edward Lennex by of the Oxford Sewer Authority at 610.932.3493 and advise him of your plans. Every business MUST do this. Be advised there is a formal filing process through the local sewer authority and the State Dept of Environmental Protection (DEP).
- Check with the Borough's Zoning Officer David Sweet at 610.436.6585 to verify that you can operate your business at the location you have chosen. Zoning regulations for your business will also be confirmed.
- Call the Borough's Code Enforcement Officer George Guss at 610.998.1762. Mr. Guss will explain what you need to do before opening a business in the Borough of Oxford. A Use and Occupancy Permi t is required before opening, cost is $60. The Permit cannot be applied for until the DEP sends a letter to you, confirming that you can connect to the sewer.
- Contact the Borough office regarding water billing.